Fact: Facial mask was first developed by Madame Rowley in 18th century. The first face glove was a mask for anybody who wanted to “bleach, purify, and preserve” the skin complexion.
Today, face masks are a great help to those who have dry skin, dehydrated skin, or oily skin. But is it okay to use a face mask if you already have a good skin complexion?
What are the types of face masks?
The market offers hundreds of face masks and it is difficult to identify the right one that will help your skin, or which type of face mask is best for different types of skin. We hope that the research that we have done here will guide you in choosing the right one for you.
For Aging Skin
A thermal mask is usually used in the spa, which you can actually make at home. The mask contains natural ingredients to achieve healthy skin. This type of mask tightens and nourishes the skin cells giving them the ability to fight all types of unwanted lines and wrinkles.
Water sleeping mask is an overnight mask which helps moisture aging skin by deeply hydrating skin cells. It works while you are sleeping and waking up with skin feeling refreshed.
Vitamin C mask helps your skin in various ways. We all know that vitamin C is called beauty vitamin and applying a vitamin C face mask helps boost the production of collagen and minimize wrinkles. Collagen is one of the natural proteins of your skin that helps with cell structures and tissues.
A Peel off mask helps tighten your skin by stimulating the blood supply and flow. It also helps remove dirt and cleanse your skin for healthy-looking skin.
For Oily Skin
If you are aiming at clearing your skin for a smooth complexion, try using an exfoliating mask. This mask removes impurities and excess oils that make your skin appear shiny and oily. It helps absorbs into the skin to remove these impurities and balance the natural oil on your skin.
Clay mask helps penetrate excess oil and natural sebum making your skin smooth and feeling balanced. It also helps unclog skin pores. If the clay mask is used regularly, it helps improve the circulation of your skin and get rid of dead skin cells for healthy, radiant skin.
Peel off or rubber mask is a Korean product that is created and become famous as a skincare routine. The rubber mask is also called modeling mask. This is a thick, gluey element that if this is dried and transformed to rubber state, this can be peeled immediately. This rubber mask helps hydrate, brighten, and get rid of any impurities on the skin.
For Acne- and Blemished-Prone Skin
An exfoliating mask is great for those with skin problems. This type of mask helps unclog pores and dispose of excess oil that can result in breakouts.
Clay masks contains ingredients thathelps in detoxification to dispose of impurities on your skin. It deep cleanses to remove these impurities and the dirt that builds up during the day. Thus, by clearing the pores, it gives the skin look smooth and radiant.
For Dry Skin
Cream mask contains emollient qualities that help soften the skin and add moisture that keeps your skin hydrated. This type of mask is good for those with dry skin that can be applied on the face for about 30 minutes or even the whole night to boost the penetration of moisture.
Natural masks provide plenty of benefits for the skin. You can make this type of face mask at home with ingredients that you can find in the kitchen. Ingredients that help hydrate and refresh your skin. This is a better way of getting the best benefits from the face mask.
Hydrogel mask, also known as gel sheets, is a Korean-based mask that is new to the market. It offers plenty of health benefits for the skin. The difference between the standard sheet mask and hydrogel mask is in the ingredients. Hydrogel mask comes in thin gel with the ability to lock-in moisture easily. It allows to deeply absorb into your dry skin and provides the moisture that it requires.
How and when do we use face masks?
- When the face mask is supposed to be used overnight, apply it as the last step in your evening skincare regime.
- Whether the face mask that you want or using is a cream mask, peel-off mask, clay mask, sheet mask, or other type of mask, remember to cleanse your face before applying it.
- Take note that most of the peel-off masks has polyvinyl alcohol. Although alcohol is what makes the “peel-off” possible, this ingredient is a drying type of alcohol that may affect a sensitive skin. Generally, we do not recommend this mask although it has “hydrating” properties.
- The charcoal, mud, or clay masks should be used and then washed off. Rinse them off before applying other skincare products. This way will allow skincare products like acne products that need more time on your skin to work.
- Most of the leave-on face masks contain a hydrating formula. We recommend that if you are using this type, skip with your regular evening moisturizer, and apply the mask. But if you have a very dry skin type, you may apply your face moisturizer and the mask.
- If the face mask is to be rinsed off, use it after cleansing, but before applying other skincare products.
- Sheet masks should be used before the other skincare products. After disposing of the mask, gently massage your skin to remove what stays on it before applying your daytime or evening skincare regime.
- Clay masks should not be applied more than once or twice every week to prevent removing the essential natural oil on your skin.
What ingredients should we look for in face masks?
- Glycerin helps boost water in skin cells to keep it hydrated for a soft and supple skin.
- Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties that help control breakouts. This ingredient also helps moisture and soothe dry patches.
- Face masks that contain vitamin B5, seaweed extract, and Bisabolol. They contain anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve and soothe irritated and sensitive skin.
- Kaolin is a natural mineral that helps cleanses and purifies. It is also exfoliate and remove dead skin cells for a soft and smooth skin.