Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic made from the leaves of an Australian tree called Melaleuca alternifolia, making it an excellent skin treatment option. It is suitable for oily, acne-prone skin which is why it is considered as one of the best ingredients for treating acne. For most people with acne-prone skin, tea tree oil and products with this ingredient are effective.
How does it work?
The tea tree essential oil is naturally extracted from the tea tree leaves. It has herbal, slightly medicinal aroma with a blend of about 100 compounds. Some of these compounds are believed to contain calming factors for the skin. Research results show that an application of about 5% concentration of tea tree oil can help minimize the number of papules and pustules.
Tea tree essential oil does have benefits for acne-prone skin, using the right concentration. Concentration is a crucial factor. For most cosmetic products, the highest is less than 0.5% seen in most cosmetic products which are too far below for the skin to benefit. In health food stores, notice it generally has 3% concentration diluted in a carrier oil which is not too strong (although you see “100% tea tree oil” you read on the label).
If you find a strong concentration of tea tree essential oil, it tends to be too strong. This may stimulate a sensitized reaction, especially if you do not dilute it before using it directly on your skin. From those 100 compounds contained in tea tree oil, there are the fragrance ingredients including limonene, eucalyptol, and linalool.
So, how do we determine the right tea tree essential oil concentration for acne-prone skin? Aside from seeing a dermatologist for professional consultation, you can find acne products with tea tree oil that have been proven to treat acne. They are formulated with the right tea tree oil concentration.
How do we use tea tree essential oil for treating acne?
According to studies, tea tree oil is effective as a remedy for removing pimples. It has natural antibacterial properties making it as an alternative to harsh synthetic chemicals. This natural oil will not remove the natural oils from your skin. This can be applied directly to acne or can be one of the ingredients of skin treatment products.
To clear acne
Dilute a few drops of tea tree essential oil with 20 to 40 drops of witch hazel. Apply the solution to the skin once or twice every day using a cotton swab. Avoid overusing it because it can dry out the skin. Overusing this oil can also trigger the body to overproduce its natural oils making your acne worse. Once you apply it to your face, keep away from the sun as tea tree oil can make you more sensitive to the UV rays.
Before using tea tree essential oil to acne, make a test on a healthy skin area. Just dab a drop of the oil on your hand or an accessible spot of your skin. Allow it to set for several minutes. When there is no reaction on your skin, then it is safe for you. You may dilute it so it will not irritate your skin. Undiluted pure tea tree oil can be harsh and irritating to your skin.
If you have normal to dry skin and you want to use tea tree essential oil to remove your makeup, try mixing ¼ cup of canola oil with ten drops of tea tree essential oil in a 4-oz sterilized glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake it until it is well blended and store it in a cool dark place. To use, soak a cotton ball with the oil mixture and sweep over your face. Rinse well with warm water. Apply a toner.
You can store your acne treatment in a small glass container for easy accessibility and application.
Possible side effects of tea tree oil
Topical acne treatments with tea tree essential oil are safe for most users. However, if you have some reactions in the past with this oil, avoid getting related products with this oil.
Take note that pure essential oils are very strong. Avoid using essential oils including tea tree oil without diluting it first with a carrier oil. Overusing tea tree oil for removing scars can only cause skin irritation and may make your scars more distinct.
Buyer’s Tips in buying tea tree oil
- 100% Pure Natural – Make sure that the tea tree essential oil that you are buying is without any harsh chemicals and additives that are harmful to our body. Check the label of the product and see the percentage of tea tree oil in it. With this natural pure tea tree oil, you can mix it with other essential oils.
- The consistency of the tea tree oil – This will determine the potency of the formula. With pure tea tree oil, it has a consistency that is not too runny nor very thick. You can dilute this pure essential oil at home since different uses require different dilution levels. Just make sure that you dilute the quantity that you need immediately instead of diluting it in bigger volume. This may affect the potency of the essential oil and become useless over some time.
- Standard packaging for tea tree oil – We recommend buying a size that suits the frequency of your usage. Avoid getting a bigger bottle if you use the oil twice or thrice a month because the quality of the oil will reduce over time. Get a bottle with a dropper for easy taking out and controlling the drops at a time. Choose the amber-colored or tinted glass bottle which keeps the potency of the formula.
- Pricing – Prices of tea tree oil varies according to its source and formula. Pure organic tea tree oil that goes through a steam distillation process comes in $13 to $40.
Other useful tips:
- Tea tree oil can cause dryness if you use it in the pure form. Try mixing it with other hydrating essential oils to control dryness and acne in control.
- Read labels of the tea tree essential oil thoroughly to check its expiry date. Essential oils are likely to become less effective over time and do more harm than good if it is used after its expiry date.
- Store the bottle of tea tree essential oil in a cool and dry place to keep the efficiency for a longer period. Avoid diluting it in larger batches.
- Work with various stages of diluting the tea tree oil to determine which one works best for you and your body. Pregnant women, as well as children, should not use this essential oil with above 1% dilution.
- Tea tree essential oil is strictly for topical use only and therefore should not be taken internally.
- Putting a few drops of this oil to your handkerchief and smelling it can relieve congestion and help you breathe properly.
- Store a small vial of the oil in your bag for skin emergencies such as burns, bug bites, and cuts.
- Effective when added in a relaxing foot soak after the day’s work.
We can find hundreds of brands that offer acne products with tea tree oil. If you feel that pure tea tree oil is too strong for your skin, or you do not have time to make your acne product using tea tree oil, get a tea tree-based product. It can be in the form of moisturizers, spot gels, or cleansers. Just make sure you apply it as directed.
How to find the best tea tree essential oil?
If you want to get the best tea tree essential oil, read labels first or know the ingredients. It should list “Melaleuca alternifolia” as its primary and only ingredient. Some put “pure” tea tree oil, others 100% pure and natural. Many also claim virgin natural unrefined tea tree oil.
When tea tree oil is diluted with other types of oils, it may not work. Bottles should be made from amber-colored glass to avoid losing the quality of the oil because of light exposure.
According to the Leading Aromatherapy Associations or the Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA), International Aromatherapy and Aromatic Medicine Association, and Aromatherapy Trade Council warn that essential oils should not be taken internally, regardless of purity or organic, unless the patient is under the close guidance of a healthcare professional trained at an appropriate level.
Five Best Tea Tree Essential Oil
Healing Solutions 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Tea Tree Essential Oil
The Healing Solutions 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Tea Essential Oil comes with a fresh fragrance that is pleasing. The producers claim that you will be completely satisfied, or you can get your money back.
The essential oil is purely natural and went through meticulous quality control to achieve the certification it needs. This oil comes from the Melaleuca alternifolia plant and comes in a protective 10ml amber (UV blocking glass and a European dropper cap for easy dispensing.
This tea tree oil from Healing Solutions should be used as topical. The tea tree oil works well with other essential oils including clary sage oil, lavender oil, thyme oil, geranium oil, lemon oil, rosewood oil, rosemary oil, and myrrh oil. You can experiment with mixing your own special blended aroma.
- 100% pure tea tree oil
- Comes with a dropper cap
- Premium therapeutic grade
- GMP, OSO, and Kosher certified
- With fresh scent
ArtNaturals 100% Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil
The ArtNaturals 100% Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil is produced in Australia where the tea tree plant is extracted. This therapeutic-grade essential oil gives antiseptic properties to the skin. These properties help to combat skin irritations and infections. It can also help heal and calm sunburns, relieves itches and rashes. Tea tree oil can be stored in the first aid kit where it is easily available, whenever you and your family may have minor cuts, wounds, or burn.
You only need a small drop at one time, so that one bottle can last for a long time. It has not been tested on animals, free from parabens, and it meets 100% of the requirements for natural product labeling. It comes with a fresh, refreshing fragrance that will help energize you.
Tea tree oils help control acne, dark spots, hair fall, and many more. You can blend a small drop in your laundry detergent to make your clothes smell fresh and clean. This essential can also be used in a diffuser to freshen your kitchen or bathroom.
Store this tea tree oil in a cold dark environment to last for about two years upon opening.
- Therapeutic grade oil
- Natural 100% pure
- Natural antiseptic properties for acne and dandruff
- Highest quality oil direct from Australia
Now Solutions Tea Tree Oil
This Now Solutions Tea Tree Oil is produced from non-GMO Melaleuca alternifolia plant. The essential oil goes through the steam-distillation process for purity instead of using an alcohol-based procedure. It comes with a pleasantly warm and spicy scent. The manufacturer ensures to provide consumers affordable and high-quality products from sustainable plant-based sources.
This tea tree oil has a higher amount of terpinenes (T40s) which is a beneficial compound that helps heal skin problems including acne. It comes with a small plastic stopper to reduce excessive pouring of the oil.
- 100% pure Melaleuca alternifolia
- Steam-distilled from tea tree leaves for purity
- Non-GMP certified essential oil
- Purity tested and quality assured
- Strong warm and spicy scent
Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals Tea Tree Essential Oil – Therapeutic-Grade
Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals Tea Tree Essential Oil is steam-distilled in the USA. It has 100% natural essential oil and free from any toxins or additives. This essential oil can be topically applied, although other individuals prefer to dilute it with a carrier oil to prevent possible allergic reactions. Take note that this oil is intended for external use ONLY. You only need a drop or two to get its maximum benefits. It comes in a glass bottle with glass dropper for easy use and application.
- Naturally, steam-distilled oil produced and packaged in the USA
- Unfiltered and undiluted
- Without any toxins and additives
- Therapeutic grade essential oil
Essential Oil Labs Tea Tree Oil – Premium Therapeutic Grade
The Essential Oil Labs Tea Tree Oil is 100% pure natural essential oil and produced in therapeutic grade. It helps heal skin problems including acne and blemished, psoriasis, eczema. It also helps remove infections from scrapes, piercings, cuts, bruises, burns, razor bumps, and bug bites.
- 100% pure and natural
- Made from sustainable farms
- Without harsh chemicals, fillers, and additives
- Helps calm and clear skin blemishes, treat acne, eczema, psoriasis, remove warts and skin tags, sinuses
Where can we get 100% pure tea tree oil?
You can buy 100% pure tea tree oil from many local stores that sell essential oils and natural skincare products. You can also find it from reputable online shops like Amazon.
How to store tea tree oil safely
Again, tea tree essential oil must be stored in its original bottle. Keep it away from sunlight or any form of heat. We recommend keeping it in a kitchen cupboard far from your oven or stove, or sink, or dishwasher. Or, store it on a higher shelf away from kids and pets.
You can also store it in a plastic container with a lid with your other essential oils to keep them organized. This will also help them from accidentally falling when you put other objects on the shelf.
The tea tree oil is always bought in a small amber-colored glass bottle, and these bottles can easily be broken. Avoid storing the essential oil in a plastic bottle because plastics can contaminate the oil.
Final Notes on Getting the Best Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil is an effective home remedy for treating acne and breakouts on the face or relieve minor cuts and scrapes from becoming infected and worst. You can also apply it on your feet at first signs of itching, rashes or hives to help calm the skin.
Do you have experience using tea tree essential oil that helps you clear blemishes or breakouts? Share your experience here to help others too.