Summer is finally here, which means that a lot of you will be out there enjoying the sunshine. Don’t forget -whether at the beach or just hanging out, your skin needs protection. Today we will be looking at the best sunscreen for acne prone skin because not all of them are the same.
This is the time of the year when days are longer, and everybody wants to spend time doing outdoor activities “under the sun.” Most of us are now wondering how we can handle the acne that may result from these activities. Certainly, for those with sensitive skin, this is a huge problem.
First of all, the purpose of sunscreens is to protect the skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays that radiate from the sun to our skin. They combine powerful and important ingredients that block out this type of radiation.
However, some sunscreens also trigger skin problems, especially those that are oil-based. Although they are designed to absorb deeply into your skin and provide maximum protection, they could also block your pores, resulting in more pimples.
But there is good news: there are sun shielding products designed especially for acne-prone skin. This means you can enjoy your summer and outdoor activities without worrying.
How to Choose the best sunscreen for acne prone skin
If you are suffering from acne problems, your skin needs various means to protect itself from the sun. There are many acne medications on the market promising to treat acne, but some of these can result in sunburn or redness. As a result, your skin will need a more reliable and effective shield from UV rays compared to people with a regular skin type.
It helps to know that acne-prone skin is always accompanied by having oily skin. Unfortunately, when you apply sunscreen to your face, you are adding grease to it.
Luckily, there are two ways of choosing the best sunscreen for acne prone skin: foundation and ingredients.
First, if you have an oily type of skin, you can look for a sunscreen that has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These ingredients help treat acne on an oily skin type. However, it can leave your skin feeling greasy. Experts say that these ingredients, although oily, are essential because they serve as a barrier that shields your skin from the sun. If you see a white residue after applying sunscreen, this is the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. If a specific sunscreen makes you feel uncomfortable, try to get another sunscreen with similar ingredients.
Second, foundation plays a significant role in protecting your skin from the sun. Aside from sunblock, a foundation with at least 15 SPF can help shield your skin. It is also essential to use an oil-absorbing powder after applying foundation to prevent extra-oiliness on your skin.
Finally, to acquire the best sunscreen for acne prone skin, it is critical to avoid those with aminobenzoic, avobenzone, benzophenones, methoxycinnamate, and oxybenzone. This is because those ingredients can trigger existing acne and even cause more blemishes and breakouts.
Without further ado here is a list of the best sunscreen for acne prone skin!
1. Banana Boat Natural Reflect Baby Sunscreen Lotion
First, at the number one spot on our “best sunscreen for acne prone skin” is Banana Boat Natural Reflect Baby Sunscreen Lotion. Initially designed for babies, this sunscreen is very gentle on the skin and is an excellent choice for those with sensitive skin. It quickly penetrates the skin without a burning sensation. It also does not appear bulky for those with acne-prone skin. The product is water- and sweat-resistant, providing a long-lasting effect.
The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends this product.
- Great option for a sensitive type of skin
- Has natural ingredients
- Comes in a convenient and portable tube
- Easily penetrates your skin
- Water-and sweat-resistant
- Some customer reviews stated that the product leaves a white residue after applying it
2. Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunblock
Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunblock is a lightweight sunscreen that helps keep your skin radiant and healthy. It has SPF 30 that provides UVA and UVB protection. It can be applied to your face and body while allowing your skin to breathe. Consequently, it does not leave your skin feeling greasy.
- Non-greasy and lightweight that allows your skin to breathe
- Provides UVA and UVB protection
- Quickly penetrates your skin
- Helps clear acne while protecting your skin from the sun
- Does not have added oil, fragrances, or PABA
- Some customer reviews state that they experience a slight burning sensation after using this product.
- Others described a messy application due to the product’s thin texture.
3. Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense Sunscreen
Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense Sunscreen comes with an SPF 50 shield from the harmful rays of the sun. It contains natural ingredients that increase the defense of your skin. This sunscreen is suitable for those who are recovering from acne.
- Contains various natural ingredients that help repair skin
- Can handle heat stress of your skin
- Some customer reviews state that the product does not prevent acne, but it does reduce the effects
4. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Face Sunscreen SPF 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid for Sensitive Skin
This sunscreen passed the tests for efficacy and safety on sensitive skin. It is lightweight and can be applied under makeup leaving a matte finish. Also, this cream is waterproof. Therefore you do not have to worry about reapplying the sunscreen when you are on the beach. Designed to give you an effective shield from the sun, it is also safe for those with sensitive skin.
- Water-resistant and lightweight
- Can be applied under makeup, leaving a matte finish
- Some customer reviews said that the product has a strong fragrance
5. Shiseido Oil-Free Sunscreen
This sunscreen is a lightweight moisturizer designed to help prevent dehydration in your skin while providing a strong shield from the harmful UVB and UVA rays at the same time. It comes with SPF 42.
- Sunscreen doubles as a moisturizer
- It is okay to wear under makeup or foundation as it penetrates deeply into your skin
- Shields you from the harmful rays
- The product comes in a small container, and it is expensive
6. SkinCeuticals Physical Matte UV Defense
This product contains SPF 50, which protects from the harmful rays of the sun, repels sebum and oil, and feels lightweight on the skin. It is non-comedogenic, which is also helpful for those with acne-prone skin. However, this product is non-resistant to sweat and water, and you have to re-apply this every two hours.
- May be useful in repelling sebum and oil
- Hides large pores, non-greasy feeling
- Non-comedogenic, leaving a matte finish
- Some reviews complain about sunscreen’s tint
7. MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Creme
MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Creme shields your skin from the harmful rays of the sun while helping relieve your skin from blemishes and also hiding red spots. It comes with SPF 30 or 50 and helps treat your acne problems. This sunscreen is hypoallergenic, giving your skin a powder-like finish.
- Offers UVB and UVA protection
- Contains natural ingredients
- Treats and hides red spots
- Dermatologist-recommended product
- Some customer reviews reveal that this product feels oily on the skin during the first application
- Others complain that this product leaves some light streaks
8. Murad Mattifier for Oily, Acne Prone Skin with SPF 15
MD Mattifier for Oily Acne Prone Skin comes with SPF 15. Clinically proven for those with oily skin, it contains octinoxate, zinc oxide, and ensulizole. If you are suffering from acne because of accumulation on your skin, this product is an excellent choice.
- Reduces accumulation of oil on your skin for at least eight hours
- Contains willow bark extract to help relieve breakouts
- Clears your skin from impurities
- Soothes your skin, while giving it a younger-looking appearance
- Not recommended for those with a dry type of skin
- This product has a low SPF level, and it may not be effective in controlling oil on your skin
9. EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45
This product comes with SPF 45 that smoothly applies and penetrates your skin. It is non-greasy and lightweight. You can use it under makeup, which is suitable for those suffering from rosacea because of its mild formulation.
- Non-greasy and lightweight
- Easily penetrates your skin
- Can be applied under your makeup
- Dermatologist-recommended product
- Some customers complain that this product leaves a white residue on their skin
- Others complain that they experience “sting” and burning sensation in the eyes
- Non-water and sweat resistant
On a final note,
Sunscreen can be a beneficial skincare product to relieve and treat acne-prone skin as long as you have chosen the right sunscreen that suits your skin type. Many offer protection from the harmful rays of the sun, while also clearing acne, and giving your skin a non-oily, matte finish.
Take note that people with sensitive and acne-prone skin should not be applying regular sunscreen because it may overdry their skin and trigger existing acne.
You may not agree with our “best sunscreen for acne prone skin” list. However, we believe it to be a great start. The best product is the one that works for you and your skin type.
Always consult a licensed dermatologist before getting products for acne and using them.
This summer, enjoy warm days with your loved ones!
If you want to maintain a beautiful clear skin all year long make sure to check out our “Top 10 Budget-Friendly Acne Body Washes.”
Now It’s Your Turn
I hoped you enjoyed my best sunscreen for acne prone skin post.
Now I want to hear from you:
Which of the sunscreens in this post are you most excited to try?
Are you going to use any of them? Or do you have a suggestion for something that has worked for you?
Let me know by leaving a quick comment.