What is acne?
Acne vulgaris, commonly known as acne, is a skin condition where the hair follicles of the face, chest and even the back are affected. It is not caused by bacteria, although bacteria play a significant role in its development. Although it affects mostly teenagers during their puberty, some women develop acne during their mid- to late-20s. It is essential that you choose one of the best moisturizers for acne prone skin.
Acne appears on the skin as:
- Tender red bumps, also known as pimples or zits
- Cysts or deep pimples, boils
- Occluded pores, also called comedones, blackheads or whiteheads
- Pustules which are bumps with pus
There are thousands of acne products on the market that aim at treating acne, but in severe cases of acne, one should see a doctor or dermatologist for the right treatment.
How do moisturizers work for acne-prone skin?
Problems like skin dehydration, acne, dry and oily skin are difficult situations that seem to be endless and impossible to manage. But when you understand these skin problems and learn the right products to use, you can implement excellent skincare routines and experience improved results.
The main purpose of skin moisturizers is to boost your natural skin barrier. Regular use of the best moisturizers can reduce the occurrence of dry, scaly, rough, itchy skin and other minor skin irritations. Moisturizers come in many shapes and forms.
There four main types of moisturizers: occlusives, humectants, emollients, and ceramides. Each type works differently on your skin, providing special and unique benefits. It is useful to know how each type works with the skin so that you will be able to decide which one will be good for your specific skin needs, especially for acne-prone skin. Generally, the right moisturizer helps neutralize the oil and water in your skin. This helps prevent blemishes and breakouts, relieves irritation that you might be experiencing, reduces the appearance of wrinkles, and shields your skin from damage.
How do we find the best moisturizers for oily, acne prone skin?
Although many think that moisturizer is not good for oily skin, this is a mistake. Moisturizer helps reduce visible oil and shine. Without the help of this product, your skin can become dehydrated and it will produce more oil. However, this does not mean that all moisturizers will work for you. You can learn how to find the best moisturizers for your skin type.
Learn to read labels.
If you have an oily or acne prone skin, select a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic (or non-acnegenic) and oil-free. Non-comedogenic products are less likely to clog your pores and cause breakouts. Oil-free products do not contain extra oils that can create a heavy or greasy feel on the skin. Take note that creams are usually heavy compared to moisturizing lotions. So, if you want a lighter feel, choose a lotion.
Check for exfoliating components.
Most moisturizers have retinol, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acids, or other exfoliating components. These famous ingredients may assist in improving acne, especially if it is mild or comedonal acne. However, if you are applying topical acne medication, moisturizers containing these ingredients may irritate your skin and increase the occurrence of flaking and peeling. It is better to get a moisturizer without exfoliating components unless your dermatologist or doctor recommends it.
Get hypo-allergenic, fragrance-free products.
Fragrance can irritate skin, especially for sensitive or acne prone skin. If you have extremely dry, peeling skin due to acne medications, moisturizers with fragrance may even sting or burn. Take note that ‘unscented” is not the same as “fragrance-free.” The best moisturizers for sensitive skin are fragrance-free.
Choose products with SPF.
Most of the moisturizers these days have SPF, which protects you from the harmful effects of the sun. Applying sunscreen every day may shield you from premature aging and skin cancer. This component is especially important when you are using acne products that can cause photosensitivity or boost your sensitivity to the sun. Common acne medications that increase photosensitivity are those that contain (but are not limited to) benzoyl peroxide, Retin-A, and Accutane.
Best thing to do? See your dermatologist.
Do not hesitate to ask for professional advice for the best moisturizers that can treat your acne- prone skin.
Always remember to focus on results, not the price.
Consequently, you do not have to buy very expensive products to get the best results for your acne prone or oily skin. If you are loving your high-priced moisturizer and getting the best results, just enjoy it. However, an affordable product can still provide the benefits that more expensive ones can give you.
Based on our research, here are the 21 best moisturizers for oily, acne-prone skin:
1. Keeva Anti-Aging Lavender Moisturizing Night Cream
This is a natural moisturizer that combats the signs of aging and restores damaged skin, all without clogging pores. This night cream contains hyaluronic acid, shea butter, organic jojoba oil, retinol, vitamins C and E.
Keeva Anti-Aging Lavender Moisturizing Night Cream is recommended for oily, acne-prone skin, as well as for those with sensitive skin.
- A potent combination of scientific and natural ingredients such as hyaluronic, retinol, jojoba oil. These help repair damaged skin and rejuvenate the skin’s moisture.
- Fit even for those with sensitive skin, the presence of natural ingredients ensure that this cream is not damaging to the skin.
- With a mild smell, it can be used as a day-time moisturizing cream without clogging pores.
- It may take time to observe beneficial results and may need a fair amount of usage before you see the desired results.
- Expensive compared to similar products.
Safflower Oil is a genuine linoleic non-comedogenic moisturizer. Containing about 70% linoleic acid, this moisturizer provides a large amount of vitamin E to your skin. This product is usually chosen by individuals with oily and acne prone skin because it keeps the balance of natural oil in the body. Fit for all types of skin, Safflower Oil can also be applied as a daily facial moisturizer or as a makeup remover.
- Nutrition-rich moisturizer.
- Maintains natural oil balance in the body.
- Reduces wrinkles and eliminates acne.
- Contained in a glass bottle, so special care should be taken to prevent the product from getting broken.
CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion provides 24-hours of skin hydration. It has hyaluronic acid that assists your skin in using the natural moisture. Fragrance-free and also free from any element that clogs the pores, it keeps your skin moisturized compared to other moisturizers.
- Keeps your skin hydrated and oil-free.
- Free of added oils, fragrance, and petroleum components.
- Does not remove wrinkles from the skin.
Exposed Skin Care Moisture Complex
Exposed skin care products have stood the test of time in providing beneficial results, especially for those with acne prone skin. This oil-free moisture complex product is part of their Expanded Acne Treatment Kit. It contains natural components that ensure your skin receives proper moisture without causing irritation, such as pumpkin seed to relieve irritation, green tea extract to rebalance your skin, and caffeine to remove redness.
Exposed Skin Care Moisture Complex is fit for individuals with oily, combination, dry and, to some extent, sensitive skin types.
- Locks in moisture to your skin without the greasy feel and look.
- Keeps your skin moisturized during the dry and winter seasons.
- Makes your skin soft and smooth.
- If this product is used with the Expanded Acne Treatment Kit, it ensures clearer and smoother skin within 30 days. Get a full refund if it does not!
- In very rare cases, the product causes a slight stinging for those with sensitive skin.
- You may find it difficult to wear makeup over it.
- It does not perform well if not used with the Exposed Expanded Acne Treatment Kit.
St. Ives Collagen Elastin Face Moisturizer
This face moisturizer from St Ives keeps your skin hydrated for a longer time. It has proteins that are beneficial for the skin. Promising glowing and fresh skin, the product is a naturally-made moisturizer that is fit for all types of skin.
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines from the face.
- Contains St Ives Collagen proteins and natural safflower seed oil, which is good for oily skin.
- Keeps your skin smooth and soft.
- Has fragrance, which may cause irritation for those with sensitive skin.
Christina Moss Naturals Organic Facial Moisturizer
This Naturals Organic Facial Moisturizer from Christina Moss is known for its safe and effective handmade formulation for acne prone skin. It contains aloe vera juice, grape oil, apricot oil and avocado oil. While shielding your skin from aging and dryness, it is also fit for all skin types.
- It does not have any harsh chemical elements.
- Concentrated solution; only a small drop is needed to lather it up.
- A light moisturizer that absorbs quickly into the skin; it does not make your skin oily or greasy.
- All ingredients are guaranteed organic and therefore, it works with sensitive skin without causing any allergic reactions.
- Contains a licorice fragrance, which lasts for just a few minutes.
- May irritate some parts of the skin.
- Shelf life is short, so if you want to keep it for several months or years, well, look for something else.
Aveeno Clear Complexion Moisturizer
The Aveeno Clear Complexion Moisturizer contains salicylic acid, which fights against acne and provides a glow to your skin. Recommended by most dermatologists, this is one of the best moisturizers for individuals with oily skin. It helps clear blemishes by making the skin radiant.
- Attacks acne and dryness, making your skin brighter.
- Shields your skin from dullness and aging effects.
- Fit for acne prone skin.
- Does not have any oily ingredients.
- One of the best moisturizers for oily skin.
- Not fit for all types of skin
Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Non-Comedogenic Moisturizer
This non-comedogenic moisturizer is considered one of the best moisturizers on the market today. A special combination of ingredients helps hydrate your skin, while also removing any acne-causing bacteria. It also ensures that your pores stay clean. The main ingredient is salicylic acid. This product is designed for all skin types, except the very dry and sensitive skin types.
- Helps fight and prevent acne; fit for those with acne prone skin.
- Hydrates your skin; just a single application of this moisturizer will keep your skin hydrated for the whole day.
- The salicylic acid content will not excessively dry out your skin.
- Fit only for those with acne prone skin.
- If you have allergies to salicylic acid, we suggest looking for another acne product.
La Roche Posay Toleriane Moisturizer
This product is an oil-free face moisturizer that helps make your skin radiant and soft. It is a lightweight cream, which hydrates your skin for about 48 hours. The product is without fragrance, paraben, and oil. It is designed for all types of skin and is also a dermatologist-tested moisturizer.
- Hydrates your skin for about 48 hours, making it look fresh and healthy.
- Enhances glowing skin.
- Cleanses acne and oil.
- May have an allergic reaction for some skin types.
Glytone Acne Treatment Gel
This product is specially formulated as an oil-free lotion for acne prone skin. Although it is for all types of skin, the presence of salicylic acid may irritate those with very sensitive skin. Therefore, if you have used products with salicylic acid before and suffered from skin irritation, this lotion may not be the right acne product for you. Salicylic acid helps remove dead skin cells and excess oil buildup.
- This acne lotion contains 1% salicylic acid for fast relief of clogged skin pores.
- Most appropriate for individuals with very oily skin.
- Works with acne prone skin types only.
- Salicylic acid does not work well for everybody.
Tea Tree Oil Face Cream
Tea tree oil has been known to treat acne and effective in treating other skin problems like blackheads, redness, cystic acne, and blemishes. It guarantees clearer and smoother skin without causing dryness, irritation, or redness. This cream is formulated to hydrate, nourish and soothe dry, combination or oily skin which means that this product is for everyone.
It blends natural, organic, and potent ingredients that help nourish and balance your skin, like goldenseal, St John’s wort, pomegranate seed oil, burdock root, dandelion root, zinc, and salicylic acid. This formulation of natural and organic components fit those with oily skin, acne, dry skin, breakouts, blemishes, rosacea, and even combination skin. The product is non-comedogenic, non-toxic, paraben-free and gentle to the skin.
- Prevents blackheads, cystic acne, blemishes, and redness.
- Hydrates your skin.
- Non-comedogenic, without paraben, toxins, or hormone disruptors.
- Not tested on animals.
- May clog skin pores and result in some breakouts.
- Does not have SPF.
Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion
Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion is formulated to provide a healthy dose of hydration while keeping your skin radiant and smooth. Its main active ingredient is Queen of Meadow extract, which helps tighten your skin pores, reduce excess oil production, and shields your skin from acne and annoying pimples. This lotion is fit for all types of skin. However, this product may cause some problems if you have excessively oily skin type.
- Aside from the Queen of meadow extract, this lotion also contains soy flour that promotes elasticity in your skin.
- Promises to remove blemishes – fast!
- Individuals with excessively oily skin may not get the full benefits from this lotion.
- Expensive, but you only need a very small amount for best results.
Dermalogica Active Moist Moisturizer
This moisturizer from Dermalogica is great for individuals with dry skin. It contains lemon, cucumber, and burdock to hydrate the skin and prevent clogged pores. It also enhances your skin moisture level and texture. The product is formulated for all skin types.
- A natural moisturizer that is also easy to apply.
- Improves and enhances hydration, while absorbing deeply for best results.
- Additional astringents keep pores tight and prevent clogging.
- If you are presently suffering from acne, this moisturizer may not be sufficient to remove it. You will need other acne products to help remove your acne problem, but it can keep any future acne issues at bay.
Olay Fresh Effects Gel Moisturizer
Your skin deserves to feel vibrant, hydrated and invigorated with this Olay Fresh Effects Gel Moisturizer. This oil-free, lightweight, and non-clogging moisturizer creates 24-hour fresh and soft skin all day! One of the best moisturizers for those with oily, acne prone skin.
- Affordable moisturizer for oily, acne prone skin.
- A single application of this moisturizer provides 24-hour moisturizing goodness.
- One of the best moisturizers for oily skin.
- Not recommended for individuals with extremely dry skin.
- No guarantee if it works because everyone’s skin is uniquely different.
Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer
This oil-free moisturizer from Neutrogena is formulated especially for the most sensitive skin. Water-based, hypoallergenic and lightweight, it helps hydrate your skin without making it feel greasy or oily. This moisturizer also regulates any excess oil for a healthy glow. Though it is more expensive than most, the results are remarkable.
- Water-based formula, light on the skin, and absorbs easily.
- Recommended for skin types, including very sensitive skin.
- Shields your skin from the harsh rays of the sun.
- Remarkable results and one of the best moisturizers on the market.
- Expensive moisturizer.
- This product contains a strong fragrance.
Clinique Acne Solutions All-Over Clearing Treatment
Clinique Acne Solutions All-Over Clearing Treatment is formulated for individuals who suffer from acne. This product is good for those with an allergy to benzoyl peroxide.
- Lightweight cream; just a small amount keeps your skin hydrated.
- Acts as a protective layer and keep acne at bay.
- Fit for those who are suffering from acne, while others may not get the desired results from this product.
Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizer
The Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizer is made with salicylic acid from Willow Bark extract, which penetrates pores to reduce acne and to prevent future breakouts. Aside from this potent ingredient, this moisturizer also contains a blend of natural ingredients like lemongrass, witch hazel, goldenseal, and hops. Designed to regulate oil production, it shields your skin from blemishes without irritating it.
- Appropriate for all types of skin, especially for acne prone skin.
- Controls the production of oil in your skin; beneficial for individuals with extremely oily skin.
- The main active ingredient is salicylic acid, which helps exfoliate the skin and attack the bacteria that cause acne.
- Salicylic acid is not recommended for everybody.
- May cause minor skin irritation due to the salicylic acid.
- Contains a strong fragrance.
Clean & Clear Dual Action Oil-Free Moisturizer
Clean & Clear Dual Action Oil-Free Moisturizer is a light cream that helps you manage your acne. Its main ingredient is salicylic acid, which is designed for dry skin.
- Moisturizes your skin and ensures that your pores do not get clogged.
- Helps prevent acne. (If you are not presently suffering from acne problems, avoid using this product.)
- If you have an allergy to salicylic acid, this product will just make your acne worse.
- Slightly expensive compared to other similar products.
Tip: To check if you are sensitive to salicylic acid, apply a small dab to your skin.
Proactiv+ Green Tea Acne Fighting Moisturizer
Give your skin a daily dose of nature’s potent antioxidant that it deserves: green tea. This moisturizer comes in a lightweight serum formulated to help hydrate dry and irritated skin. Apply every day, or as needed, to relieve your skin from dryness. You can wear this product alone or under makeup. If you are going outside, wear a sunscreen SPF15 or even higher. If irritation or a rash occurs, discontinue using it.
- A lightweight non-comedogenic moisturizer that is affordable.
- Use as a daily moisturizer.
- Helps soothe tired and irritated skin.
- Does not clog pores.
- Not recommended for individuals with extremely oily skin.
- May not work with those who are presently not suffering from acne.
Fresh Umbrian Clay Oil-Free Lotion
This non-oily Fresh Umbrian Clay Oil-Free Lotion is a high-performance moisturizer for everyday use. Its main ingredient is Umbrian clay, which absorbs impurities and unclogs skin pores. It also helps relax and brighten your complexion, while also improving skin tone.
With a Meadowsweet extract that aids in regulating sebum production, this moisturizer minimizes shine and oil. Also packed with potent vitamin A, E, antioxidants, and green tea extract, it promotes cell renewal and shields the skin. Fit for combination skin.
- Active ingredients of this lotion help fight off free radicals, keeping skin damage to a minimum.
- Controls excess production of sebum without drying the skin.
- Some reports claim that the product caused redness and irritation on sensitive and dry skin.
Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Acne Treatment Moisturizer
Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Acne Treatment Moisturizer is a hydrating antimicrobial formula that removes acne-causing bacteria. It contains salicylic acid and oligopeptide-10 to prevent new acne blemishes with less irritation. This moisturizer improves skin tone and texture and regulates oil production for clearer, smoother and more well-balanced skin. Appropriate for oily, acne prone skin, and to some extent, works for dry and sensitive skin types.
- Often considered one of the best moisturizers for oily, acne prone skin.
- Has salicylic acid, which may cause irritation to some individuals.
- Not a good choice for severely oily skin.
A short review,
Moisturizing your skin is imperative to keep your skin clear, smooth, and radiantly healthy. It allows your skin to repair damaged cells and promote new skin cells. This is very important in treating acne prone skin, or any skin problems.
The list above details what we believe to be the best moisturizers on the market for oily, acne prone skin. A sufficient understanding of the ingredients in your skin care routine will be helpful, basic and important.
For best options, we recommend that you consult with your dermatologist.
Make sure to wash your face with one of the Recommended Facial Cleansers
Also protect your skin with one of these Sunscreens for people that suffer from acne
Now It’s Your Turn
I hoped you enjoyed my 21 Best Moisturizers for Oily Acne-Prone Skin post.
Now I want to hear from you:
Which of these best moisturizers in this post are you most excited to try?
Are you going to use any of them? Or do you have a suggestion for something that has worked for you?
Let me know by leaving a quick comment.