What are acne scars?
First of all, acne scars are generally caused by swollen blemishes due to clogged pores, dead skin cells, excess oil, and bacteria. The skin pores swell, resulting in a break in the follicle wall. Shallow lesions may be minor and heal quickly. However, when there is a deep break in the wall of the skin pores, the infected matter can flow out into its surrounding tissues, creating deeper lesions. The skin tries to repair these lesions by producing new collagen fibers. The repairs may not be as smooth as the original skin texture. Today we will be looking at which might be the best acne scar treatment for you.
- Avoid overexposure to the sun because it can darken scars, so they appear more prominent.
- Scrubbing and overwashing scarred spots may further minimize the elasticity of your skin and increase the appearance of scars.
- Avoid picking at scars. Unwashed fingers and nails have bacteria that can increase the risks of developing more cysts, resulting in larger scars.
- There are new methods and medications, some non-surgical, that can improve the depth and appearance of acne scars.
Facial Scrub, Face Wash, and Cleanser Products for Acne Scars:
Although they may sound the same, they are not.
First of all, face cleanser and face wash are categorically the same. Aside from cleaning your face, they are formulated to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. But the similarities end there.
Face washes are usually made with soap, which may be harsh on your skin. In contrast, face cleanser is gentler due to the oil and cream. Always remember to read labels and know the ingredients before getting a product.
Facial scrubs exfoliate your skin with a sandy, rough texture that removes dead skin cells, making your skin smooth and clearer. As a result, if used too often, facial scrubs can dry or irritate your skin. However, facial scrubs do not clean your skin and should be applied once or twice every week.
Active Ingredients of Leading Acne Scars Removal Products
First, salicylic acid is an exfoliating ingredient artificially similar to ibuprofen. It helps to open your pores to relieve irritation and redness. It is a leading ingredient in treating skin inflammation.
Take note: There are products that do not have the right concentration of salicylic acid at the proper pH. If you are using a product with salicylic acid, make sure to flush it off according to the product instructions. It must be applied with caution, especially if you have sensitive skin or if you have some allergic reactions. This is because it peels your skin at a higher concentration.
Next, vitamin E is an essential vitamin for the skin because it can help heal scars. However, dermatologists explain that if you are prone to breakouts, it can make you break out more.
Hydroquinone is another essential ingredient found in many scar removal creams. It helps remove dull scars because it tries to help skin improve. This ingredient also helps clears wrinkles, reduce dryness, and improve other skin problems.
However, hydroquinone can pose a threat when it is in higher concentrations. Products containing this ingredient are banned in most countries due to harmful side effects. Ask your pharmacist or, even better, your dermatologist before using a product with this ingredient.
Additionally, products with silicone as an ingredient are generally a good choice. This is because it hydrates your skin and protects your scars from bacteria. It also helps prevent the scars from tingling, speeding the healing process.
Finally, onion extract is a safe and natural ingredient for reducing acne scars. It helps regulate the production of collagen and relieves skin inflammation.
Below is a list of leading over-the-counter acne scar products. We recommend that you choose a product that is best for your skin type.
The best acne scar treatments
1. Christina Moss Organic Facial Wash
Christina Moss Naturals Face Wash is formulated for health-conscious individuals with all types of skin, including oily, dry, or combination. Free from harsh ingredients like sulfates, parabens, and added fragrance, it comes with a creamy texture and produces a foamy lather. This face wash does not have added fragrance, but the rosemary extract in it offers a gentle and delightful smell.
Christina Moss Organic Facial Wash contains coconut oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, shea butter, rosemary oil and extract, and aloe vera extract. This product is not tested on animals. Its container is made with biodegradable labels and recycled bottles.
- All natural healing and moisturizing facial wash that helps soften and repair your skin.
- Appropriate for all types of skin, particularly those with sensitive skin.
- Rosemary extract creates a gentle and pleasant, but natural fragrance.
2. Exposed Skin Care Microderm Scrub with Healthy Green Tea and Passion Flower Extracts
The Exposed Skin Care Microderm Scrub is a gentle exfoliating scrub that contains natural botanicals, such as corundum crystals, chamomile extract, and grape seed oil. This unique formulation removes dead skin cells, improving a smoother and more radiant complexion within two to five weeks. Do not apply this scrub all over the face to prevent irritation or redness. It is appropriate for all types of skin.
- Combines natural ingredients to rejuvenate damaged skin, without causing adverse reactions and side effects, like irritation and redness.
- This product is hypoallergenic. If you have sensitive skin, this scrub can be part of your skincare routine.
- Removes dead skin cells and treats just the pimple, leaving the skin smoother and clearer.
- Approved by the FDA.
- You must handle the product with care.
- Overuse or rubbing the product may cause dryness, irritation, or redness in the skin.
3. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser (20 ml)
Fresh Soy Face Cleanser is formulated for all types of skin, including sensitive, normal, and acne prone skin. This can be used every day, morning and night. It is even safe to apply around the eyes. With safe and gentle ingredients, the amino acid soy proteins help improve skin elasticity, and cucumber extract soothes irritated skin. This face cleanser also contains nourishing oils like soybean, sunflower, and borage seed. These rejuvenate skin, making it smooth. Rosewater has relaxing properties for irritated skin.
- Formulated for all types of skin.
- Removes dirt and makeup without drying the skin.
- Contains gentle ingredients, without sulfates, phthalates, or parabens.
- Best selling face cleanser.
- Bland smell, which some may not enjoy.
4. Bio Oil for Acne Scars (2 oz)
Bio Oil for acne scars is clinically-proven for acne scars and stretch marks. It is formulated to help improve the appearance of uneven skin tone, dry, and aging skin. It is non-greasy and will not clog your skin pores.
- Contains natural ingredients.
- Fits all types of skin, including sensitive skin.
- Clinically-proven and recommended by most of the dermatologists.
- Best selling product for scars and stretch marks, recipient of skincare awards.
- Smooths scars, wrinkles, and fine lines; rejuvenates skin for a better complexion.
- Affordable and readily available at pharmacies.
- Results may not be satisfying. Though it may reduce the appearance of scars, it cannot remove them completely.
- Need to continually use the product for best results.
5. Pure Body Naturals Dead Sea Mud Mask
Another great product, Pure Body Naturals Dead Sea Mud Mask is considered one of the best face masks on the market. Fighting against skin maturing effects like acne scars, wrinkles, dull spots, fine lines, uneven skin tone, and eye bags, it contains natural ingredients. Some are dead sea mud, sunflower oil, shea butter, aloe vera juice, and jojoba oil.
- Helps to relax acne prone skin, eliminates excess oils, helps remove acne scars, and cleanses pores.
- Dead sea mud mask improves skin and restores its natural elasticity.
- Contains safe, natural ingredients without side effects.
- You will enjoy a fresh, light, earthy fragrance and creamy feel due to natural ingredients.
- Removes toxins and excess oil from your skin.
- Reduces the visibility and thickness of dark circles and age spots.
- Results may take a longer time to show, particularly with old acne scars.
6. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser 16 oz
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is another budget-friendly face wash recommended for individuals with normal to oily skin types. It contains a unique formula with three essential ceramides (1,3, 6-II) that cleanse and eliminate excess oil, all without interrupting the protective skin barrier. Providing a gentle foaming action, this cleanser refreshes and cleanses the skin.
- Dermatologists recommend this product.
- Non-irritating, non-comedogenic, non-drying formula.
- Hyaluronic acid improves moisture.
- Niacinamide relaxes your skin.
- Reviews claim that if you do not have oily skin, this product may dry your skin out.
7. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic
SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic contains pure vitamin C and vitamin E to protect your skin from natural harm caused by free radicals. The vitamin C serum removes free radicals due to UVA/UVB, infrared radiation, or IRA, and ozone contamination. The product also enhances the indications of aging, photodamage, and hyperpigmentation, reducing the signs of wrinkles and lines while firming and lightening up your skin. You will experience the best results by also applying a suitable sunscreen. Fit for normal to sensitive, dry, and mature skin types.
- Acts powerfully for about 72 hours.
- Improves skin tone and decreases the appearance of scars and redness.
- Shields your skin against damaging UV rays.
- Takes a longer time to see results.
- Once absorbed, you cannot wash it or rub it off.
8. Simple Foaming Facial Cleanser (5 oz)
Simple Foaming Facial Cleanser is recommended for women with sensitive skin. It removes makeup, dirt, oil, and other impurities from your skin, leaving it replenished and refreshed. With Pro-Vitamin B5, it restores and softens your skin. Chamomile softens your skin, while glycerin hydrates and nourishes it. Geranium adds essential oil for fresher skin. Purified water is also included with no artificial fragrances, dyes, or harmful chemicals that irritate skin.
- Removes makeup and dirt without irritating your skin.
- Gently cleanses without fragrance.
- Since it is fragrance-free, some may not like the smell (or lack thereof.)
9. Skin Medica Scar Recovery Gel
With continuous use, Skin Medica Scar Recovery Gel helps soften and reduce the growth of red or pink scars. This product is formulated for all types of skin.
- Helps rejuvenate skin cells.
- Reduces redness and pink scars.
- Improves your skin tone.
10. Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-In-1 Fight & Fade Toner
This 8-ounce toner from Neutrogena is formulated with the maximum strength of the salicylic acid, which sheds dead skin cells and minimizes breakouts. The toner is an excellent product to remove post-acne spots. Fit for all types of skin.
- Contains salicylic acid that helps with acne scars.
- Minimizes the chances of breakouts and excess oil.
- Good product for acne prone skin.
- This toner can dry your skin at the start of the application, but when you get used to it, you may limit the use.
- Some customer reviews claim there is a strong smell.
11. Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Acne Treatment Body & Face Wash
Humane body & face wash is a benzoyl peroxide-based product with a special formula designed to treat acne. It works with acne breakouts that affect your face, back, and body areas. As a result, the formula helps kill bacteria and prevent breakouts. However, this Humane Body & Face Wash is not recommended for sensitive skin.
- It has NO parabens, Phthalates, paraffin, sulfates, propylene, formaldehyde, mineral oil, glycol, petrolatum, synthetic fragrance, synthetic color, DEA, SLS, GMO, or Triclosan.
- The product does not involve experimentation on animals.
- Each pump is measured for the exact amount needed each time you use it.
- Benzoyl peroxide contains antibacterial, keratolytic, anti-inflammatory, and comedolytic properties, which are effective to treat acne.
- Recommended for both men and women.
- Most of the users are satisfied with the smell of the body & face wash.
- The pump may get stuck.
- Benzoyl peroxide can bleach cloth/fabrics if they are not washed thoroughly.
- Additional irritation or redness, acne, and dryness may occur – these are considered usual side effects of the product.
12. InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum
InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum is a potent formula with nutrients that help rejuvenate your skin and prevent signs of aging, including discoloration, wrinkles, and lines. It also contains ferulic acid, which defends against skin damage. Hyaluronic acid and sea buckthorn oil help promote your skin’s protective barrier.
- Promotes healthy collagen production, while brightening skin tone and maintaining firmness and radiance.
- A special blend of plant stem cells, botanical extracts, and natural oils help nourish your skin while enhancing its texture and tone.
- Protects your skin from environmental aggressors using antioxidants, ferulic acid, and vitamin C.
- Hyaluronic acid immediately hydrates while boosting your skin’s ability to maintain moisture.
- The serum has an overwhelming smell that some do not like.
- It does not show immediate results.
- It contains 2% salicylic acid. If your experience with products containing salicylic acid has been too abrasive, this may not be good for you.
13. St Ives Radiant Skin Face Scrub
Another in the scrub category, St Ives Radiant Skin Face Scrub helps remove your skin’s little imperfections. Additionally, it has pink lemon and mandarin peel extracts to smooth your skin, maintain even skin tone, and bring out a glowing and radiant complexion.
- Formulated with natural exfoliants and extracts, hypoallergenic.
- Paraben-free, non-comedogenic.
- Leaves your skin feeling soft and clear.
- This product contains artificial fragrances.
The bottom line is,
In conclusion, if you have chosen skin care products for acne, handle them with care. A recent study revealed that using too many products, or applying too much product to problem areas can result in further skin irritation and even skin dryness. Furthermore, face scrubs or products with harsh exfoliants can make your acne worse by rupturing blackheads and whiteheads, thus turning them into painful red lesions. Most noteworthy, always remembers that no matter how tempting it is, popping and picking your zits will further damage your skin.
Finally, if you feel that your acne is painful, severe, or does not disappear, we recommend that you go beyond the over-the-counter products and medications. Go to a licensed dermatologist.
Make sure to wash your face with one of the Recommended Facial Cleansers
Also, protect your skin with one of these Best Moisturizers For Acne Prone Skin
Now It’s Your Turn
I hoped you enjoyed my Best Acne Scar Treatment Post.
Now I want to hear from you:
Which of these acne scar treatments in this post are you most excited to try?
Are you going to use any of them? Or do you have a suggestion for something that has worked for you?
Let me know by leaving a quick comment.