Acne, as we know, is very common among the Americans. When left untreated, it can lead to blackheads, whiteheads, and pus-filled spots. The American Academy of Dermatology reported that there are about 40 to 50 million Americans who have acne at any one time.
Acne is likely to begin during pubertal stage, and most individuals suffer from acne during this time before it resolves itself in the late teens or early in their 20s. For others, it tends to persist into their late 20s and 30s.
Acne can differ from a few spots to bigger clusters of affected areas, like face, neck, chest, including the back portion of our body. When acne is not treated immediately, it can cause permanent scars and dark spots on our skin.
So, what is back acne?
There are instances when big tender cysts can develop on the back portion. They can burst or heal up without rupturing. The skin affected by acne can be soft to the touch, or can feel hot, or maybe painful.
The severity of back acne can differ. Mild acne (grade 1) is characterized by few blemishes that may include blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. Severe acne (grade 4) tends to have many spots or cysts. For mild acne cases, the application of OTC medications after the original problems has cleared up can help us avoid breakouts.
Causes of Back Acne
When the levels of hormones in the blood increase, the glands generate an excess of oil. At the same time, dead skin cells are not properly shed have clog up the follicles. The combination of excess oil and dead skin cells problems can result to whiteheads and blackheads.
Skin experts reported that everybody has Propionibacterium acnes on our skin, and for most, this bacteria does not cause any problem. The accumulation of more oil on the skin on individuals with acne-prone skin makes an excellent environment for this bacteria to multiply. Later, it can result to inflammation and formation of pus-filled or red spots.
Reports also show that there is little evidence that any specific foods like chocolate can cause acne. However, some researchers report that their studies reveal that some carbohydrates like white bread and potato chips can cause a rise on blood sugar levels which can trigger the growth of acne.
Ways of Treating Back Acne
Topical creams are the first option to treat mild to moderate cases of acne. They are applied directly to your skin. Dermatologists recommend topical creams that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. It is recommended that they should be applied to whole affected parts of the back, rather than just the spots once or twice a day. You may observe results within 4 to 8 weeks.
It is recommended to see your doctor or healthcare provider before buying medicines for acne, especially, when acne is severe with acne cysts and nodules. You may be prescribed with antibiotics to kill bacteria and minimize inflammation. Sometimes, this is prescribed with a topical medication.
The isotretinoin is a potent treatment that can help individuals for up to two years of medication. However, there are some downsides to this treatment such as it can harm unborn babies. Therefore acne medication that involves isotretinoin is not advisable for women who are planning to get pregnant. Before prescribing this treatment, doctors may ask for blood tests for your safety. Doctors will continue to monitor individuals while they are using this treatment.
Laser and other light therapies are formulated to minimize the levels of bacteria on your skin. However, there is limited evidence that supports the effectiveness of this therapy. Mostly, doctors will recommend chemical peel to treat blackheads and papules.
Drainage and extraction is an approach that removes large acne cysts if they do not respond to medications. This approach may help ease the pain but will possible leave a scar.
Read related topic: How to prevent acne
Recommended Specialized Products for Treatment of Back Acne
One needs to have a specialized back acne product for treatment. The skin of your back, shoulder, or neck is different from the skin of your face. They are thicker and acne that are developed on these areas are more resistant compared to your face.
Below are back acne products that can clear your skin from acne. Rest assured that we continue to do research about these products’ pros and cons, their suitability on your skin, and particular instructions.
From the products below, select the acne treatment that suits the type of your skin to begin with removing acne.
Keeva Tea Tree Oil Acne Treatment Cream
This creamy and light Keeva Tea Tree Oil Acne Treatment Cream contains natural anti-acne ingredients. The tea tree essential oil is an antibacterial, antifungal, moisturizer, cleanser, astringent, and toner all in a single natural ingredient. It is proven effective in treating acne from the roots and preventing future breakouts.
Aside from tea tree essential oil, it also contains salicylic acid. This combination keeps your skin moisturized and acne-free. The cream also contain hyaluronic acid that helps remove acne scars for clearer and smoother skin.
This Keeva cream is suitable for face, chest, back, and neck acne.
- The organic tea tree oil and salicylic acid combination is effective in moisturizing your skin and keeps your skin acne-free.
- The product also contains hyaluronic acid that helps remove acne scars for clearer and smoother skin.
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free
- Ingredients are made with non-GMO ingredients
- Visible results are observed within few days, not months
- The cream is contained in a small 1-oz jar, and so you may have to buy more to complete your back acne treatment.
- Check the ingredients because there may be some natural ingredients that may give you some allergies.
- Since this is a scented cream, some may find the smell pleasant but others may not.
Christina Moss Naturals Organic Body Soap
The company has worked for 17 years in developing their formulas to bring us quality and effective products. The Christina Moss Naturals Organic Body Soap is “rich, nutritious” and helps in cleaning, nourishing, and feeding your skin with organic and natural ingredients. Ingredients include natural extracts and essential oils leaving your skin healthy and beautiful.
The soap works well with those with sensitive skin type. It lathers and rinses clean with skin soothing ingredients without leaving accumulated, stripping, or drying out your skin. The company guarantees that the product contains no harmful chemicals and without SLS and SLES, PG or PG derivatives. The body is paraben-free, without sulfates, no dyes, without synthetic fragrance, or anesthetizing agents. The soap is environmental-friendly and made of vegan-formula.
- The soap helps remove dead skin cells leaving your skin refreshingly nourished.
- Works as body and facial soap, but make sure to keep it away from extremely sensitive spots of your body
- Organic ingredients-based soap, without harmful chemicals, no SLS or SLES, free from parabens, with PG or PG derivatives, no sulfates and dyes, without synthetic fragrance or anesthetizing agents.
- May experience stinging sensation on your skin
- May help removing acne but the soap does not guarantee future breakouts.
Biore Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar
The Biore Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar contains natural charcoal which is known to cleanse pores. This soap is infused with refreshing peppermint oil and exfoliating jojoba beads making your skin smooth and 2.5 times cleaner compared to a basic cleanser. This product received good feedback from individuals to who used this soap to treat their back acne.
- Contains exfoliating natural charcoal, jojoba beads for removing dead skin cells from your skin, and peppermint oil that helps leave your skin refreshingly nourished.
- Although the soap is not 100%-free from chemicals, it is natural ingredients-based product.
- Also good product to help you remove your makeup
- Does not fit individuals with dry and sensitive skin types
- Leaves your skin with a “tingly” feeling
Wonderfully Natural Organic African Black Soap
The Wonderfully Natural Organic African Black Soap helps you get a flawless skin. This raw black soap contains natural ingredients like organic palm oil, unrefined shea butter, and organic cocoa pods. These ingredients help fight acne and other skin problems.
- Helps clear up acne, scars, and blemishes
- Acts as exfoliation, keeps your skin soft
- Contains anti-aging properties
- May dry out a sensitive skin
Humane Acne Wash
Humane Acne Wash with 10% benzoyl peroxide is formulated to treat acne, including back acne. It kills bacteria – fast – and helps prevent future breakouts. However, this product is not recommended for individuals with sensitive skin because the formula is strong.
It is fragrance-free and the product has received many positive feedback from users.
- Comes with a convenient pump at the top, making it very easy to use bit-sized amount.
- Aside from fighting back acne, the product can also help reducing acne scars
- Without artificial fragrance, paraben-free
- Made and processed in U.S.A., without imported formations.
- Cannot be applied as facial cleanser for individuals with sensitive skin
- May pose problems if you are allergic to benzoyl peroxide
- You need to wash it off your back – thoroughly – because it will leave a thin film on your skin.
Murad Clarifying Body Spray
Murad Clarifying Body Spray features a quick-drying solution that controls body blemishes. It combats acne wherever it grows, including at the back. It contains 0.5% salicylic acid that concentration to ensure skin pores are effectively absorbed and are thoroughly free from dead skin cells, dirt, and excess oil. This body spray also contains allantoin and blue lotus extracts that help soothe irritation for healthier-looking skin.
The clarifying body spray from Murad is formulated as solution for acne breakouts, back acne and shoulders, large or clogged pores, and excess oil.
- The presence of salicylic acid and triclosan together help fight acne-causing bacteria and open clogged skin pores. This means that it gets rid of existing acne and prevent future breakouts.
- Contains skin conditioners that aids in keeping your skin hydrated.
- The company’s 360° tagline means that you can spray it from any angle, even upside down making it very convenient to target even the most hard-to-reach areas of the skin.
- Works for teen acne as well as adult acne.
- Needs continuous usage to achieve and maintain clear skin.
Mario Badescu A.H.A. Botanical Body Soap
Refresh your skin with each shower through Mario Badescu A.H.A. Botanical Body Soap. It is one of the best-selling body soap in Amazon. It is infused with fresh fruit extracts to help cleanse and exfoliate your skin.
Papaya and grapefruit extracts help remove dead skin cells leaving your skin feeling soft and smooth. The ginseng extract helps rejuvenate, while oat protein helps soothes sensitive and irritated spots. This body soap is an excellent choice for individuals with skin problems like acne at the back, shoulders, and chest. It leaves no soapy residue and it smells heavenly.
- It contains papaya and grapefruit to help exfoliate dead skin cells, dirt, and excess oil off your skin.
- It contains ginseng that help rejuvenate skin and oat protein help soothes sensitive skin; prevents skin irritation.
- Helps remove skin tags.
- The Alpha Hydroxy Acids or AHAs are not suitable for all types of skin. Make sure that you are not allergic to it before getting this product or any product that are with AHAs.
- Can make your skin burn if you have very sensitive skin type.
Replenix Acne Solutions Wash 10%
This Replenix Acne Solutions Wash is an excellent choice for controlling adult and teen acne. This is also ideal for those with breakout-prone skin types because it helps remove excess oil and treats blemishes. It contains active ingredient which is benzoyl peroxide that penetrates deep into the pores to kill bacteria known to cause breakouts, thus preventing blemishes from developing. Because of its strong formula, it is important to wear a sunscreen when you go outside.
- Formulated with potent medication to fight stubborn acne on your face, back, shoulders, and chest. Use this product with caution on face.
- Brings positive results in a short time where users do not have to wait for several months to see some results.
- Proven to work well for adults suffering from acne.
- The 10% benzoyl peroxide treatment is generally too strong on sensitive skin where users may experience burning sensation, dryness and itching on skin.
- Contains fragrance but not too strong.
PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash
If you are looking for a maximum strength of benzoyl peroxide that delivers results, choose PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash. It contains 10% benzoyl peroxide that helps clean and unclog pores on the back, chest, and face. It also helps clear existing acne blemishes and helps prevent new blemishes from developing. This foaming wash helps exfoliate dead skin cells.
- Recommended by dermatologists
- A high concentration acne medication that is proven to treat back acne and even severe types of acne.
- Economical solution for back acne.
- May cause excessive dryness or irritation on skin
- Not fitted to those with dry and sensitive skin types
- If this product is used without care, benzoyl peroxide can stain or bleach your clothes.
Glytone Acne Treatment Spray
Formerly known as Back Acne Spray, Glytone Acne Treatment Spray features a quick drying formula and innovative pump design that works upside down for ease of use. It contains 2% salicylic acid that helps deeply clean pores and prevents new acne blemishes from developing on your back, chest, and shoulders. It leaves your skin feeling fresh and clean. The special formula helps clear skin imperfections in those hard-to-reach areas.
- Salicylic acid is known to remove dead skin cells, helps deeply clean and unclog pores to prevent acne blemishes, acne pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads.
- Easy-to-use pump design which functions upside down for back and chest treatment.
- Quick drying formula
- Non-comedogenic, fragrance-free
- Best suited for reaching and treating tough areas
- Others may find it to have strong fragrance like pure alcohol.
- If you cannot bear strong clinical smell, this product is not for you.
- Can leave skin dry, and if you find it extremely bothersome, you may need to use lotion afterwards.
We hope that this article has, in one way or another, helped you find solution to your skin problem. Message us and let us know your thoughts.